Talk, Sing, Read, Write, Play
Encourage Literacy Skills
Research shows that ages 0-5 are the most important time for children to develop their brains & attitudes towards reading.
- Books that Inspire Talking Talking with children is one of the best ways to help them learn new words & information
- Books for Singing Together Singing develops language skills. It slows down language so children can hear the different sounds
- Books to Read with Your Child Reading together develops vocabulary, nurtures a love for reading, and motivates children to want to learn to read
- Books that Promote Writing Scribbling & writing help children learn that written words stand for spoken language
- Books that Encourage Playing Playing helps children put thoughts into words
*Tip* Not every child will sit and listen to stories. Try reading aloud while they are playing nearby. They are still building early literacy skills as they sit nearby!
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
South Coastal Library
Follow the 1000 Books before Kindergarten program with the South Coastal Library. For every 100 books read, you earn a free board book. Download your reading log and details on South Coastal Public Library's site.
Friday - Rehoboth 10:30 am (1-3y) Literacy & Learning
Saturday - South Coastal 9:30 am (0-5y)
LEAP & PAWS Partnerships for Early Literacy & Learning
Join a PAWS (Paws for People) or LEAP (Literacy Education Assistance Pup) dog at a Sussex County Library near you for a one-on-one, nonjudgemental reading session. Children may practice their reading skills for the specially trained dogs and their handlers.
Find a PAWS or LEAP dog reading session at the following Libraries:
Community Day AND Summer Reading Program Kick-Off Party
June 15, 2 - 7 PM, Greenwood Public Library
Build a Better World with the Greenwood Public Library on Thursday, June 15, 2 - 7 PM. Celebrate Greenwood Community Day and the Summer Reading Program Kick-off with ongoing events from Amity Coffee Shop, DE State Fire School, Western Sussex Boys & Girls Club, Western Sussex Youth Soccer Association, Greenwood Police & McGruff the Crime Dog, Antique Car Display, 3D Printer & Virtual Reality Demos and more!
Scheduled Events Include:
- 2 PM - Local YA Author, Elizabeth Biasi, book signing
- 2 PM - DE Fire School presentation
- 3 PM - Local Fiction author, Rebecca Yelland, book signing
- 4 PM - Local Children's book authors, Pam Halter & Kim Sponaugle, book signing
- 5 PM - Meet Sherman from the Shorebirds
Be sure to check out the indoor golf, sidewalk chalk poetry, community service teen challenge, story walk, LEAP dogs, medical screenings & QR code tour too!